Friday, October 20, 2006

MY LITTLE CHICKADEE.

Amy and her parents went to Grandmother's house for Thanksgiving dinner as usual. Grandmother now lived alone across town in her big house. After dinner, the grown-ups began to talk. Amy found herself at loose ends and lonely. She had gotten used to being alone, but she still wanted to find a special friend. She wandered through the familiar house and ended up on the enclosed back porch. The afternoon sun was streaming in. The porch was warm and cozy. She heard a rustling outside the big picture window. A young chickadee was settling into a sheltered corner of the window. She asked, "Why are you still here in November? Why aren't you with your brothers and sisters?" A small voice answered, "They've gone further south. I stayed. I like to be all on my own. I found this sheltered spot and decided it was for me. "But aren't you too young to be alone? Winter is coming," said Amy. "What is winter?", asked the young chickadee. "Winter is one of my best times of the year. It begins for me today, Thanksgiving. Then comes Christmas. And then the snow and the cold. Little chickadee, I'm afraid for you in the coming cold and snow". "What is Thanksgiving and Christmas?" asked the little chickadee. "They are times my family gathers and give thanks for our good life. At Christmas we give thanks for new life and we give each other gifts", replied Amy. "You remind me of my family. What is snow? I think I know what cold is", added the chickadee. "Cold comes on a strong north wind and freezes water." "How then will you drink? And how will you keep warm?", asked Amy. The little chickadee bravely said, "This warm spot here will protect me. I can leave to find food and return." "Good Luck", Amy said warmly, "I like you. I wish I could stay with you, but I must go back inside because it's time to leave." "Goodbye," said the chickadee, ~I like you, too. Enjoy Christmas!"
That Sunday a few days later at lunch, Amy's mother told Amy and her father how the Grandmother had decided to travel to stay with an ill sister over Christmas. She had closed up her house, but wanted Amy's father to check it periodically. Amy gasped, "We must check it immediately". "What's wrong", asked her father. "I'll tell you later. I must go right now." "Sit right there and finish your hot soup," interjected her mother. "I can't, it's a matter life or death". She ran to get her coat. Her father got his and they hurried out the door to the garage.
"Hurry, Dad, please hurry", Amy urged, "I hope it's not too late". They soon reached the darkened house and went in to the cold rooms. Amy ran to the back porch. The sun was streaming in and the porch was mildly warm. There in the corner outside was the little chickadee. She ran out to the backyard and reached up to the window. She felt the soft feathers. She cupped her hands around the small, seemingly lifeless form. "My friend, are you alive? Can you hear me?" she asked. No answer. Her father had by now followed her and finally realized what her concern was. The heat from her hands was now having an effect. The little chickadee stirred slightly. "It's me. I've come back to be with you", whispered Amy. "Thank you. I grew colder and colder. I thought I could stay warm here alone, but I couldn't. You were my only hope", said the chickadee weakly. "From now on you and I will be friends. I'm taking you home with me. Neither of us will be alone again", replied Amy. She walked to her father who welcomed her back with a big hug.

© S. K. Poultney 11 Dec 1988

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home